Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Chapter 6 Interesting Concept
One concept which I found interesting and one which caused me to immediately think of a story I could apply to this concept was reasoning with "or" claims. This concept states that if the premise is true, then there is no way for the conclusion to be false at the same time. So basically, if A or B plus A, then B will occur. One example I thought of was at my work, Camp Kids, we have to do different things to try and get our kids attention. One way we do that is let them decide how long they want to take to quiet down. So we might say "Either you all need to be quiet and listen up, or we will just stand out here until you are quiet". So, if they didn't quiet down, then we would just stand out there until they realized they needed to be quiet. So because the A wasn't true, then the conclusion would be true and we would wait. But if they did immediately quiet down, then we wouldn't have to stand there and wait for them. So if the premise is true, then the conclusion would have to be false.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lol John, I really like your example you gave. I use to have to work with children so I defiantly know where you are coming from. I use to always have “or” claims. I never realized I used them so much with the kids I worked with until you mentioned your example and it opened my mind. It’s a good idea to use on kids for discipline because they figure there is no other alternative then the ones your point out to them. But the “or” claims are important and the way you explained it made sense and cleared things up!
ReplyDelete