Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chapter 7 Concept

One of the concepts that caught my eye in chapter 7 was raising objections to counter certain arguments. This concept states that instead of directly evaluating an argument, they will simply raise objections to disprove that claim or argument. In doing this, we are showing that the argument or claim on the other end is false or weak. This is usually how arguments go between people who disagree about something. Someone will say a claim that is made, and then in order to show how that claim is weak, the other person will raise an objection. I think a lot of students use this in their persuasive essays when they bring up the other side of their subject. Though they will recognize the main points of the counter-argument, they will bring up objections to make their paper stronger. This way, they are not only showing how the counter-argument is weak, but they are also showing how their argument is stronger.

1 comment:

  1. Dear jkrabby16,
    I love how you started off your post with the book's explanation of the concept. I was just telling West Robin earlier that this is a good way to give the reader two different explanations of the same thing. This makes it much easier for them to get a good grip on the subject. I do however, feel like you could have given a better example. You did mention that some students use it in their persuasive essays by bringing up the other side of their argument but if you had given an actual example of it, your post would have been much better. I'm hoping this can help you out in your next post. =]

    ReplyDelete