Friday, June 24, 2011

Chapter 11 Fallacies

In chapter 11, one content fallacy that I see a lot of times nowadays with kids my age is the bad appeal to common belief or practice fallacy. This fallacy states that if a certain group of people believes in an idea or do something that supports that belief, then it is a good belief or action that is justified. In simple terms, it is the "bandwagon" fallacy, which means that if enough people do something, then it is cool, and to jump on that bandwagon would make you cool. A classic example that I remember my parents using on me if I got into this situation would be "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?". Nowadays though, I think a good example is that so many party and drink, which may pressure other into thinking that if they do the same thing, that will make them look cool because they jumped on that "partying bandwagon". Some of my friends in college tried to convince me to drink because they thought it was fun or cool. Though it may seem that way to people who do it, from my perspective, it is a bad appeal to common belief, which is that there are more consequences than benefits that come from drinking and partying.

No comments:

Post a Comment