Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Subjective and Objective Claims

When I was in my Public Speaking class last semester, me and one of my friends would always argue about basketball because he liked the Lakers and I am a Kings fan. The claim I would always make, which was a subjective claim, was that "The Kings would have won the 2002 Western Conference Finals against the Lakers if it had not been for the referees". I believe this is subjective because you are able to watch highlights of the game and see how terrible the referees were, and years later, some of the referees came out and said they had been paid to call the game in favor of the Lakers. Though this could also be an objective claim because its just my opinion, I think it is more so a subjective claim because they are many ways to see how this claim can be proven true.
I have hung out with one of my friends a lot this summer, and whenever we do, we always compare our cars that we have. I always tell him that "My car is better than yours". Now this is definitely an objective claim because it is purely my opinion, and it could easily be proven either way that my car or his car is actually the better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment