Saturday, June 25, 2011

Interesting Concept

One concept that I read about that I thought was very interesting, and that I totally agree with, is the concept of rational discussion, and what that entire principle covers. I think that the example in the book is very helpful in understanding what this principle is trying to say. Basically, this principle states that in this situation, we automatically assume the other person knows what we are talking about, and has the capability to converse about the subject with you logically and rationally. The example in the book is a professor dropping off his car at an auto shop, coming back later, and having the mechanic tell him he "needs a new fuel injector". The professor questions her, asking if he really needed a new one. In this situation, the mechanic does not realize the professor does not know what he means or is talking about because the professor is not a mechanic, and doesn't understand how is car operates. I think this happens more and more in everyday life and people do not realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment