Saturday, July 2, 2011
Other Interesting Concept
One interesting that I found in chapter 6 was the reasoning from a hypotheses concept. What this concept states is that you have to start out with a hypotheses for your original claim, A, then follow that with an argument for the following claim, B. The other person then returns those claims that if you want to go through with your original claim, then you must also do whatever action you stated in your follow up claim. In other words, once A and B is stated, then if A, then B. I think we use this technique a lot in trying to convince others to participate in certain events and activities, because we say that if they want to do one thing, the following action must also be taken. This technique is very useful also when someone is trying to do something that requires multiple actions, but thinks they only need to do one. With this in mind, we are able to convince that person to do everything that is necessary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey I thought you had a nice post, it helped reinforce what the book said on the topic. I think you could improve it by providing a personal example, but that's just me. It seems like this concept does relate well to talking with friends, like you said. I have a friend who's really shy that always talks about how he wants to meet girls, but then never does anything about it. My other buddies and I always tell him that if that's what he wants to do, then he has to do something about it (If A, then B,) but he never does.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post but it’s more like a definition. I agree with TonyG about enhancing it with personal example and he gave a decent example about it.
ReplyDeleteI found a really great example posted by doodles22 about the same concept but was the opposite of yours; it lacks the definition you gave. I think it helps a lot along with your post so I quoted it in my comment below.
“Ryan: I think I need to make more money.
Ashley: Then you have to work more.
Ryan: Why?
Ashley: the more hours you work the more money you can make.
Since Ryan wants to make more money, Ryan would have to work more. Ashley proved that if Ryan wasn't to make more money, then he'll have to work more.”
reference: http://doodles22.blogspot.com/