Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chapter 8

One concept in Chapter 8 that I read a lot about was general claims and what is a contradiction to such a claim. What I thought was interesting was how the distinction between the words "all" and "some" was so important in stating one claim. A good example of this would be using my job. I could say "Some kids like to run during games. Soccer involves running. Therefore, some kids like playing soccer". Though the claim may seem valid, and it may be true that those kids who enjoy running also like soccer, it is not a valid claim. The group of kids who like running may despise soccer as a sport entirely, and only participate because of the running, not because they enjoy playing. This also makes the book definition about general claims more clear, in that a general claim is a "general way about all or part of a collection".

No comments:

Post a Comment