Friday, July 15, 2011

Other Interesting Concept

Another interesting concept that I read about in Chapter 8 was a direct way reasoning and arguing backwards. An easy way to look at this is with two easy formulas. For the direct way of reasoning, it's "All S are P, a is S, so a is P". For example "I like to play video games. Call of Duty is a video game. I like to play Call of Duty". In this sense, we come from our original statement to our conclusion in three true and fluid statements. For arguing backwards, it's "All S of P, a is P, so a is S". An example would be saying "All runners are in shape. Tyler is in shape. So Tyler is a runner." Instead of your second statement agreeing with the first part of your original statement, it agrees with the second part. By using these forms, we are able to better explain our point in simpler and more straight-forward terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment