Thursday, July 14, 2011

Truth Tables

When I was reading about the Truth-Tables, it was interesting to see the concept of the classical abstraction. The definition of this is when a person pays attention only to "whether the claim is true or false, anyhow it is compounded from other claims". Some different forms of such abstractions would be a conjunction, negation, disjunction, and conditional. By paying attention to the classical abstraction, we can see that if we can analyze a claim correctly, we can also check its validity. For example, a conjunction claim is only true when both sides of the claim are true. An example of this would be "My friend likes soccer and I like basketball". Now this claim can only be true if my friend likes soccer at the same time I like basketball. Another example would be of a negation, in which the claim is true if the part is false, or visa versa. For example, a negation would look like "I want to go to Subway or my friend wants to go to Chipotle". Now if both parts are true, then it is true. Otherwise it is regarded as false.

3 comments:

  1. I like your post on truth tables. I actually had a hard time understanding the reading since there was a lot going on, but it's great to read other bloggers explain the reading. It's a lot easier to read a blog post then the book. I really like that you explained the different forms of abstractions. So that way you let readers know there is more then one. It's great that you put different examples for each of the abstractions. That way readers can understand it more clearly. The best part is that your examples were simple so it makes it easy to understand. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John your posts on truth tables made it very easy for me to understand the section on truth tables in the text. Your examples are very clear and do a great job of explaining the definitions of the terms you included in the blog. One of your examples was "My friend likes soccer and I like basketball”. This is a perfect example of a conjunction clam because, like how you expressed, both of the statements must be true. You cleared up any confusion I had on this subject through your post. Your examples and explanations were great! Good job (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there. It was interesting to read your post. Since I needed to understand more about truth tables, I decided to read this topic on your blog and it actually helped me out a lot. The way you explained truth tables and about its abstractions was very good. I really like the way you started off by providing such a good definition. You then proceeded by explaining what all the abstractions are. Your organization was also brilliant. The examples you gave about conjugations and negations were also good. You were able to give all the important information in a paragraph briefly and concisely. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete